Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Best Gourmet Caramel Apples


No caramels to unwrap for these beauties, they're easy and fun to make and by far the best tasting. You can sprinkle with mini M&M's, dip them in nuts, chocolate, basically anything you think might be tasty. In this photo I dipped the bottom of the apples in pecans and chopped symphony bar then drizzled white chocolate on the top, Yumo!!! I make these around Halloween time, and this recipe is by far the best one I've ever run into. Every one just loves them. Oh, one more thing I don't remember where I got this recipe, so sorry I can't credit this one.

Just a WARNING this is not Health Food folks, this is pure Indulgence.

Note: Have every thing prepared in advance, it helps alot, and don't be freaked out by the long list, it really is worth it. Also if you want to make a double recipe, make two recipes in two separate pans.

Serves 8-10 people

Things you will need:

One heavy sauce pan
One candy thermometer
Wax Paper (Buttered) on a cookie sheet for easy moving.
One wooden spoon for stirring

1 cup of butter (no substitutes)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 (14ounce)can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
8-10 wooden sticks (I used the big thick ones found in the craft section) these are
heavy apples people.
8-10 medium tart apples(you want tart apples to off set the sweetness of everything else going on).

With this recipe I covered 2 Lg Granny Smiths and 8 small gala, If I remember right.

1. Insert 1 wooden stick into each apple.
2. In a heavy sauce pan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees (firm ball stage)
about 30-40 minutes. Don't stop stirring, yes this part is a little tiring, but you can do it.
4. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla
5. Dip each apple into the hot caramel mixture; turn to coat, work fast as the caramel will start to set up fast.
6. Holding by the stick, dip into nuts or sprinkle with what ever you desire while the caramel is still warm.
7. Set on Buttered wax paper to cool.
8. Another Note: I noticed that these dipped apples taste even better the 2nd and 3rd day after they have been dipped
9. Do you like all my Notes?

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!! I've never attempted caramel apples before...but I think I'm going to!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for leaving a comment!!!